Grooming gang that systematically raped a 14-year-old girl and ‘robbed her of her childhood’ in West Yorkshire is jailed
- Woman was just 14 when she was raped by gang in Keighley, West Yorkshire
- Eight men were found guilty of 23 counts of rape and two of conspiracy to rape
- The CPS said two were sentenced last year and four more were jailed on Friday
A grooming gang who raped a 14-year-old girl and ‘abused her systematically and repeatedly’ over a two-year period have been jailed.
The woman was raped by multiple men in the Keighley area of West Yorkshire over a period between 2008 and 2009, when she was aged between 14 and 16.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said eight men were found guilty of 23 counts of rape and two of conspiracy to rape in two separate trials at Bradford Crown Court last year.
Nazir Khan, 30, of Keighley, Kamran Hussain, 29, of Keighley, Omar Safdar, 30, of Oldham, Imran Sabir, 42, of Keighley, Hassan Basharat, 32, of Keighley and Barber Hussain, 36, of Bradford have now been jailed.
Two others are yet to be sentenced.
In a statement issued through West Yorkshire Police on Friday, the woman said: ‘The driving force for me to keep going through all of this was so that it prevents it from happening to other people, and also it might help other people come forward.’
Ed Hulbert, from the CPS, said: ‘These eight men cynically manipulated and ruthlessly exploited a young and vulnerable girl.
‘They plied her with drugs and alcohol and abused her systematically and repeatedly. They raped her when she was alone and unprotected.
‘They are now facing lengthy prison sentences.
‘The victim has displayed immense courage and resilience in reporting these crimes and helping us to build a robust case to put before a jury. Our thoughts remain with her.’
Detective Chief Inspector Alan Weekes said: ‘I would like to take this opportunity to praise the victim for coming forward and reporting these offences to the police, for her patience whilst the criminal investigation has been ongoing and her courage in giving evidence in court.
‘The abuse she endured robbed her of her childhood and I hope seeing all of these men sent to prison today for these horrendous offences she was subjected to will allow her to start to look forward to the future.’
The CPS said the six sentences so far were:
– Nazir Khan, 30, of Keighley – 12 years and an extended eight-year licence period
– Kamran Hussain, 29, of Keighley – five years
– Omar Safdar, 30, of Oldham – 12 years
– Imran Sabir, 42, of Keighley – 12 years
– Hassan Basharat, 32, of Keighley – 12 years
– Barber Hussain, 36, of Bradford – 13 years